We live in a changing culture, where negative news often gets the most publicity. Abortion legislation changes combined with political & cultural pro-abortion messaging can easily create discouragement. When it comes to pro-life values, it can often feel like we’re fighting an uphill battle. All you have to do is turn on the TV. How do we, as pro-life Christians, maintain a positive outlook, especially when it comes to the impact on matters of life?
Caring Network has been supporting the value of life since 1981. Despite decades of change, our mission and vision have remained the same—to reach more women in unplanned pregnancies and impact choices for life. By providing compassionate support and influential services, we are able to make a difference, one life at a time. Learn more about the work we do today!
Positive Perspective in Life Issues
As Christians, we know that God is in control. We can trust Him and He is always on the side for life. However, we also live in a world of free choice and personal will. How do we remember to maintain a “glass half full” outlook in trying times?
Remembering as a Tool to Maintain Perspective
In the Old Testament, the Israelites were commanded numerous times to “remember”—to look back at the miracles God performed on their behalf, and to trust Him for His care and provision for the future. In our current day, we should do the same. Here are some things we can focus on remembering as we seek to change our perspective:
- God is in control. Although laws may change and culture may shift, God is still on the throne. We can trust Him with our future, as well as our present. Regardless of what happens, our times are in His hands.
- Good things are happening. Although the loudest message is often the only one that gets heard, there are other voices in the mix, if we take the time to listen. People are standing for life and are engaging in good work. Organizations like Caring Network are working every day to make an impact to change and save lives.
- You are not alone. Having a perspective that is different than what seems like the majority can feel isolating. Know that you are not alone. The pro-life community includes people from all different backgrounds and perspectives. Others are out there that value the same things you do. Finding our common ground helps to not only promote the cause, but to boost our perspective.
Action as a Tool to Maintain Perspective
Now that we’ve taken a look back, how do we begin to move forward? What are some action steps we can take to promote a positive outlook?
- Work together, not apart. Now is an important time in our history to join together for the cause of life. Finding a unifying voice, despite any differences in background or church doctrine is important. We can work more efficiently and effectively when we do it as one body.
- Set attainable goals. To maintain a positive attitude, we have to fight against feelings of discouragement or despair. If our goal becomes to put an end to the pro-choice movement tomorrow, we could easily get frustrated and throw in the towel. Set personal goals that are effective. No goal is too small to make an impact.
- Recognize the good work that is happening. All around us people are taking a stand for life. When you see something, say something! Take a moment to encourage someone who is making an impact or to reach out with a friendly acknowledgement. This not only helps lift the spirits of those doing the work, but it also helps maintain a positive mindset in the fight for life.
If you are in the Chicagoland area and are interested in taking the next steps in a pro-life organization, Caring Network is here to help. Partner with us financially, pray for our clients, donate baby items, or volunteer your time and skills. Many opportunities are available to step into the work that is already taking place locally. Thanks for your interest in making a difference for life!